I’m planning a major baking session this weekend and was scouting around for inspiration when I came across this pop star guitar cake from Family Fun Magazine. (They give the original idea credit to Christina K. of Fort Worth, TX; Great idea Christina!) This is simply too cool if your birthday kid is into Rock n’Roll or even Hanna Montana. And it goes perfectly with out “rock star” invitation and party decor!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Guitar template
- 19 x 13″ cake pan
- Red, blue and neon blue food coloring
- 2 ½ cups vanilla icing
- 1 cup dark chocolate icing
- 3 pastry bags, with 1 small round tip and 1 medium round tip
- 1 Kit Kat
- 6 brown M&Ms and 12 yellow M&M Mini’s
And here are all the easy steps:
- Cut the cake using the template and assemble.
- Make purple frosting by stirring 12 drops of red food coloring and 8 drops of blue into 1 1/4 cups of vanilla frosting. Spread the frosting over the guitar body.
- Lightly press a medium-size drinking glass into the frosting to mark the sound hole. Spoon 1/2 cup of the chocolate frosting into a pastry bag with a small round tip. Pipe frosting to fill in the circle. Use the rest of the chocolate frosting to cover the guitar neck and head as shown.
- Place one section of the Kit Kat about 2 1/2 inches below the sound hole. Spoon 1/4 cup of vanilla frosting into a pastry bag. Use the small round tip again to pipe on lines for frets and strings, then place the yellow M&M’s Minis as shown.
- For tuning pegs, put three brown M&M’s on each side of the head of the guitar, then pipe vanilla-frosting pegs leading to them.
- Stir 12 drops of neon blue food coloring into the remaining vanilla frosting. Spoon the frosting into a pastry bag fitted with the medium round tip. Pipe on dots and curlicues as shown.
And for those of you who love this idea, we’re in the process of developing a fun new Rock n’ Roll themed invitation and thank you card so make sure and check back with us in about two weeks. Happy baking.