This fun idea from Parents.com goes perfectly with our deep sea birthday party theme. And I love the modernly decorated fish cookies all around it. We even have a fish cookie cutter that will work perfectly!
Here’s all you’ll need for the cake:
- Box (18-1/4 ounces) yellow-cake mix
- Can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Orange food coloring
- 1 blue sour gumdrop
- Twizzler Pull-N-Peel in Watermelon Mania
And here are the simple steps to pulling it off:
- Bake your cake mix according to the package directions for a 9 x 13-inch cake using the pound-cake variation (add instant pudding and an extra egg). Cool completely.
- Using the fish template on Parents.com as a rough guide, cut out the fish shape.
- Tint your vanilla frosting orange and start with a light crumb coat allowing it to dry. Next, frost entire cake again to cover completely.
- Place the gumdrop on the cake for the eye. Cut the Twizzler to fit the cake, and place it on top to divide the face and the body. Trim another Twizzler string into strips for the tail. Finally, using the back of a spoon, pull the frosting away from the cake to give the body of the fish a scaly look. (Tip: Make sure you do this fairly quickly so that your frosting doesn’t harden.)