This first one, a beautiful shell crown, is a must for any mermaid princess. You’ll need:
- Heavy cardstock large enough to encircle your child’s head
- Tiara or crown template available at FamilyFun.com/magazine
- Small shells (large shells will be too heavy and weight down the craft paper)
- Tacky glue or hot glue
And here are the simple steps to make this beautiful crown:
- Using the template provided by Family Fun, draw and trimout the design. (A cutting mat and staight edge would be helpful.)
- Place your shells and then affix them with glue.
- Before the glue drys completely sprinkle on sand and glitter to fill in the open spaces.
- Allow the crown to dry and then secure it into a circle that will fit your child’s head.
This next craft is too adorable and perfect for photo ops. You’ll need:
- Flat bedsheet
- Washable marker
- Nondimensional fabric paint (e.g., DecoArt SoSoft)
- Fabric glue
And here are the super simple steps:
- Lay the bedsheet down on a hard flat surface and have your child lie down in the center so that his or her neck lines up with the top edge.
- Using the washable marker, trace the child’s body and then sketch the design on top of the outline. (See the mermaid in the upper right corner.)
- Now use the fabric paint to create your mermaid.
- I’ve added my own twist here. Paint the mermaid tail, but then embellish it with glitter felt (the craft store usually has pink and purle!) scales.
- Hang your sheet on a laundry line to dry and let the magic begin.
- NOTE: Follow the package instructions for setting the paint and laundering the sheet.