chocolate pumpkin cupcakes

Have I ever told you that I LOVE the holiday season?! This little stretch from now until New Year’s. I can find a party anytime of the year, but when I was a little girl this time of year was very special. Lots of family, lots of creativity, lots of laughs and lots of memories. And I want all of that for my boys too.

So this past weekend, I was playing around in the craft room, burning my pumpkin spice candle in the kitchen and got the craving for pumpkin bread. Instead of going traditional, how about a chocolate pumpkin cupcake?!

I didn’t have time to create my own recipe, I wanted to bake right then, so I hopped on the net and came across this recipe from allrecipes.com.

But I did have time to create a quick pumpkin garnish. I knew these would make my boys smile… after all, that is the point, right?! Using orange flavored soft mint candies from my local candy store (left over from a previous project) and sour apple Starbursts, I simply cut a small triangle from the Starburst and lightly pushed it into the candy. Ta-Da! Pumpkin!

Now on to the cupcakes. You’ll need: 1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix; 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin; 2 eggs; 2 tablespoons vegetable oil; 1 (16 ounce) container cream cheese frosting. Now hop over to allrecipes.com for all the easy directions for a moist yummy cake idea that will have your kitchen whispering fall!

And you see these sweet little jars? These are Bormioli Rocco Quattro Stagioni 8 1/2 Ounce Canning Jars. You can pick  these cuties up on Amazon.com.

As always, I hope you’re inspired to craft, bake, create and celebrate!

Join The Celebration Shoppe on facebook, sign-up for the daily ideas to come right to your inbox (a box in the right-side navigation bar), follow us on twitter, pinterest and on instagram at @thecelebrationshoppe

Comments

Tammy says

Love this idea so cute, did you bake the cup cakes in the jars or did you bake them in a regular cupcake tin and place them inside the jars? My kids will love this.

Tammy – that is a fabulous question! I should have shared that in the post. I baked the cupcakes in liners like normal and then transferred them to the glass once they cooled. So glad you liked them!

Molly says

Kim thank you for sharing the lovely treat you made for your boys, for sure I will go make a copy of the recipe. And thank you especially for providing a source for those jars too. They’ve shown up on several blogs lately and so far the only person I’ve seen say where they were purchased was at a place not in my part of the world. Wonder why the Bormioli Rocco jars didn’t show up on any of the internet shopping searches I did? My jars (ordered just now!) will likely hold jams and preserves but in your honour I think snugging in some cupcakes would be wonderful. Thank you again!

Molly says

Thank you, I will…they arrived so quickly (and beautifully packed–no damage!) and are just as cute as your photo shows. Did you use the lids that came with them for canning? I’ve never worked with that style before and don’t know if it is as safe as the 2-piece lids we normally see. No matter, there are cute jars here now and your recipe is begging to be baked especially with the hint of fall in the air today and 2 teenage boys in the house. :)

Molly – thanks for the comment on my blog. You know, I didn’t use them for canning. I originally intended to use them for a back to school project and then changed my mind to pumpkin cupcakes. ;)

If you find out and/or do it yourself, I’d love to know how it turns out. I’ve only ever used the two-part lid too!

Thanks for stopping in!

Joan says

Kim I ordered my jars this morning from Amazon and I am planning on making these cupcakes for my September Bunco party. I am sure the ladies are going to love your idea!! Thank you and keep the ideas coming!!!

Joan says

Kim, a couple more questions, did you take the cupcake papers off the cupcakes before you put them in the jars? Did you also pipe the frosting or did you just use a spoon?

Joan – yes, I pulled the wrappers off and even broke them up a bit to fill the empty space and yes, I did pipe the frosting with a few slits in the corner of a resealable bag. Enjoy!