Ready for a tailgate party?! Fan of University of Kentucky? We have some free party printables for you!
Hi everyone! It’s Deanna of Mirabelle Creations contributing today! I live in the South, where tailgating is not to be taken lightly. It’s an event and must be treated as such from the clothing you wear, to the food you serve, all details are carefully planned.
I recently had the opportunity to style a tailgating party for an appearance on LEX 18’s News and this is a bit of what I shared!
And while planning my appearance I began looking for new recipes and ideas and found this candied popcorn. I instantly thought of all the great football color combination possibilities. My Alma Mater is blue and white, so I chose the Berry Blue Jell-O for my popcorn. But, by simply changing the Jell-O flavor, you can change the color to match your own team colors.
After I tested the recipe, I posted a picture of it on Instagram. Instantly, several of my friends contacted me asking for the recipe, commenting that it would be perfect for tailgating so I knew I had a keeper!
Candied Popcorn Recipe (adapted from Clair’s Creations)
- 3 bags of microwave popcorn, popped
- ½ cup margarine
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3oz box Berry Blue Jell-O
- Wilton’s Icing Color in Royal Blue and Violet
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray.
- Combine margarine, sugar, corn syrup, water, and Jell-O powder in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until boiling. Boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove pan from heat. The Berry Blue Jell-O is more of a teal color. For more of a royal blue color, first add a small amount of royal blue icing color using a toothpick. Repeat, using violet icing color. Stir and add more violet if not quite dark enough.
- Empty popcorn into large bowl. Pour sugar mixture over popcorn. Stir with a large spoon. Pour popcorn onto baking sheet. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring once. Remove from oven. Cool completely on pan, then break apart.
And if your team is blue and white, hop over to my blog for more details and to DOWNLOAD my free football tailgating party printables!
As always, we hope you’re inspired to craft, bake, create and celebrate!